SECTION II - SPORTING & GAMES
356. (Aeronautics) Fly - The National Aeronautic Magazine. 2 issues (Vol. II, Nos. 3 & 6). Profusely illus. 15x10-3/4, pictorial wrappers. Philadelphia: Fly Magazine, Jan. & Apr. 1910. Stains to wrappers, adhesion residue to front wrapper of 1st, chipping to upper extremities of 2nd, else near very good - fascinating early periodical in the history of aviation. (70/100).
SEVERAL ON ANGLING
357. (Angling & Hunting) Reed, Earl H. Tales of a Vanishing River. Illus. by the author. 9-1/4x6-1/4, quarter cloth & boards, paper spine label. First Edition. New York: John Lane, 1920. Inscribed & signed by Reed on the title page, with an original pencil drawing by him to mid-title page. Rubbing to corners, spine ends & spine label, soiling, else very good. (80/120).
358. (Angling) Burns, Eugene. Advanced Fly Fishing: Modern Concepts with Dry Fly, Streamer, Nymph, Wet Fly, and the Spinning Bubble. Photographs by Clyde Childress. Drawings by Firman Bradway. Gilt-lettered cloth, color pictorial cover label. First Edition. Harrisburg, PA: Stackpole, . Presentation copy, inscribed & signed on half-title by the author. Near fine. (100/150).
359. (Angling, etc.) Curtis, George William. Lotus-Eating: A Summer Book. Illus. by Kensett. Purple cloth, gilt- lettered spine. Third Edition. New York: Dix, Edwards, 1856. Explorations of vacationlands in the Catskills, Niagara Falls, Hudson River, Lake George, etc. Sunning to spine, chipping to spine head, bump to upper rear cover; foxing, else very good. (70/100).
360. (Angling) Farrington, Kip S. Atlantic Game Fishing. Intro. by Ernest Hemingway. Illus. with color plates by Lynn Bogue Hunt, & from photographs. 11-1/4x8-1/2, gilt-lettered blue cloth. First Edition. New York: Kennedy Bros., 1937. Rubbing to spine ends; foxing, especially to title page & frontis., photo hinges to front free endpaper, hinges starting, still very good. (70/100).
361. (Angling) Herbert, Henry William. Frank Forester's Fish and Fishing of the United States, and British Provinces of North America...together with a Treatise on Fly-Fishing by "Dinks." Illus. with wood engravings. Contemporary ■ calf & marbled boards, morocco spine labels. Revised Edition. New York: W.A. Townsend, 1864. Westwood & Satchell p.115; Heckscher 968 (First Edition) - A dedicated outdoorsman, Herbert committed suicide shortly after he was married. Joints cracked, scuffing to leather, rubbing to boards, else very good - Herbert's most famous fishing tome. (80/120).
362. (Angling) Holder, Charles F. The Game Fishes of the World. Illus. 10x7-1/4, gilt-lettered & pictorially stamped green cloth. London & New York:. Hodder & Stoughton, [c.1919]. Rubbing to spine ends, darkening to spine & extremities, scattered foxing, else very good. (100/150).
363. (Angling) Holder, Charles Frederick. The Adventures of Torqua, being the Life and Remarkable Adventures of Three Boys, Refugees on the Island of Santa Catalina.... Illus. Red pictorial cloth. First Edition. Boston: Little, Brown, 1902. Fraying to spine ends, fading to spine, rubbing to vol.; name to front free endpaper (dated 1904), else about very good. (50/80).
364. (Angling) South, Theophilus [Edward Chitty]. The Fly Fisher's Text Book. Illus. with 23 copper plates after paintings by Cooper, Newton, Fielding, F.A. Lee, and others. 9x5-1/2, ■ marbled calf & marbled boards, gilt-tooled spine with gilt-stamped fishing emblems, red & blue morocco spine labels, t.e.g.; bound by Bayntun. London: Henry G. Bohn, 1845. Westwood & Satchell p.198; Heckscher 451 (First Edition) - This book is "one of the best of its class" (Westwood & Scatchell). Mild sunning to spine, else finely bound & with attractive plates (the first edition only contained 12 plates). (200/300).
365. (Angling) Trout Flies: 20 Plates in Full Color. 20 loose color plates of dry and wet flies (237 in all), each 9-1/2x6-1/4, in printed envelope. N.p.: [c.1940's]. Envelope somewhat tattered, but plates are in fine condition. (70/100).
366. (Angling) Volkmann, Daniel G. Fifty Years of the McCloud River Club. Frontis. folding map. 9-3/4x7-1/2, cloth-backed dec. boards, paper cover label. 1 of 150 copies printed by the Westgate Press. First Edition. San Francisco: Privately Printed, 1951. The McCloud River Club is located in Shasta County, California. About fine. (200/300).
367. (Angling) Walford, Lionel A. Marine Game Fishes of the Pacific Coast from Alaska to the Equator. Illus. with color plates by Link Malmquist & photographs by Ralph Emerson. 11x7-3/4, gilt-lettered cloth. First Edition. Berkeley: Univ. of California Press, 1937. Inscribed & signed by Walford on the title page, & with the name of the Manasquan River Marlin & Tuna Club to front free endpaper. Foxing to covers & internally, rubbing to spine ends; mild internal soiling, else very good. (80/120).
368. (Angling) Walton, Izaak & Charles Cotton. The Compleat Angler: or, Contemplative Man's Recreation. Being a Discourse on Rivers, Fish-Ponds, Fish, and Fishing...to which is prefixed, The Lives of the Authors, and Notes Historical, Critical, and Explanatory. 2 parts in 1. lxxxii, 268; xxxiv, 111, ,  pp. Illus. with 14 copper engraved plates plus engravings within the text. Contemporary tree calf, gilt-roll borders, gilt-dec. & piscatorially stamped spine, morocco spine labels, gilt-inner dentelles, a.e.g.; bound by Bayntun. Later Hawkins Edition. London: Rivington, 1784. Rubbing to joints, rear joint cracked, reapir to leather near spine head; repair to one plate, else very good. (200/300).
369. (Angling) Wells, H.P. Fly-Rods and Fly-Tackle: Suggestions as to their Manufacture and Use. Illus. incl. frontis. port. Pictorial cloth. Revised and Enlarged Edition. New York: Harper, 1901. A bit of dulling to spine, else very good - a charming front cover design. (70/100).
370. (Angling) Holden. Streamcraft: An Angling Manual. Gilt-lettered cloth. 2nd Ed. Mild insect damage to covers; inscription to title page & following page. . * Farrington. Fishing the Pacific, Offshore and On. Illus. by Lynn Bogue Hunt. Jacket. 2nd Ed. . * Camp, ed. The Fireside Book of Fishing. Jacket. 1st Ed. . * Ovington. Tactics on Trout. Jacket. 1st Ed. 1969. * Dalrymple. Modern Book of Black Bass. Jacket. 1st Ed. Inscription to dedication page (not author's). 1972. * Schweibert. Matching the Hatch: A Practical Guide to Imitation of Insects Found on Eastern and Western Trout Waters. Jacket. . * Leiser. Fly-Tying Materials: Their Procurement, Use, and Protection. Jacket. 2nd Ed. . * Livingston. Fishing for Bass: Modern Tactics on Tackle. Jacket. 1st Ed. . * Evanoff. Make Your Own Fishing Lures. Jacket. 1st Ed. . Together, 9 vols. Illus. Various places: various dates. Very good overall. (150/250).
371. (Angling) Bergman, Ray. Trout. Color plates of flies painted by Edgar Burke; color frontis. by William J. Schaldach; photo plates. (Pencil mark to half-title with indentation intruding to frontis. & title). 1952. * Burns, Eugene. Advanced Fly Fishing: Modern Concepts with Dry Fly, Streamer, Nymph, Wet Fly, and the Spinning Bubble. Photographs by Clyde Childress. Drawings by Firman Bradway. Gilt-lettered cloth, color pictorial cover label. . Hintz, O.S. Trout at Taupo. Plates from photographs incl. color frontis., & drawings by Minhinnick. Jacket. . Together, 3 vols. (120/180).
1833 GUIDE TO ARCHERY
372. (Archery) Old Toxophilite. The Archer's Guide: Containing Full Instructions for the use of that Ancient and Noble Instrument, the Bow; Directions for the Choice of Arrows; and all information essential to the attainment of theoretical proficiency in the graceful, manly, and fashionable pastime of Archery, accompanied by a History of the Long-Bow.... ci, , 178 +  ad pp. Illus. with 3 hand-colored plates by Robert Cruikshank of men & women archers & their paraphernelia. Original pictorial green boards. First Edition. Lonodn: T. Hurst, 1833. Darkening to spine, joints lightly cracked, rubbing to extremities & boards; foxing, contemporary note about archery to top of first text page, otherwise very good - a scarce volume. (100/150).
373. (Archery) Elmer, Robert P. Archery. Profusely illus. Gilt-stamped blue cloth lettered in white. Revised (Third) Edition. Philadelphia: Penn Publishing, . Inscribed & signed by Elmer on verso of title page, with T.L.s. from him laid-in. Owner's embossed stamp to title page, else near fine. (80/120).
FOLIO VOLUME ON BOXING, 1894
374. (Boxing) Edwards, Billy. The Portrait Gallery of Pugilists of America and their Contemporaries from James J. Corbett to Tom Hyer, with Biographical Sketches and Authentic Records of their Victories and Defeats.... Illus. from photographs. Folio, 14-1/2x10, silver-lettered blue & red cloth. First Edition. Philadelphia: Puglistic Publishing, . A great compendium of old-time boxers. Chipping to spine ends, rubbing, soiling & darkening to covers & extremities; a couple plates detached & trimmed, else about very good - James K. Satchell's copy with his name to front free endpaper in pencil. (150/250).
375. (Boxing) Spalding's Athletic Library. How to Punch the Bag, including Directions for Exhibition Bag Punching. Illus. Pictorial wrappers. First Edition. New York: American Sports Pub., . Rubbing to spine & extremities, shelf wear, else very good. (40/70).
376. (Camping) Gray, William C. Camp-Fire Musings: Life and Good Times in the Woods. With chapter on fishing. Illus. from photographs. Gilt-lettered cloth. First Edition. New York: A.D.F. Randolph, 1894. Phillips p.143 - Small bookplate to front free endpaper, else near fine. (60/90).
377. (Camping) Macdonell, Arthur A. Camping Out. Illus. Gilt-lettered pictorial cloth. First Edition. New York: Frederick A. Stokes, 1892. Rubbing to spine ends, else near fine - a charming little volume. (70/100).
IMPORTANT COLLECTION OF CHESS
378. (Chess) Carreras, Dr. Tolosa. Traité Analytique du Problème dÉchecs.... Half calf & mottled boards, gilt-lettered spine. First Edition. Paris: Numa Preti, 1892. Scuffing & rubbing to extremities, slight internal browning, else very good. (70/100).
379. (Chess) Cook, E.B., W.R. Henry & C.A. Gilberg, eds. American Chess-Nuts: A Collection of Problems, by Composers of the Western World. Illus. with chess pictures. Brown cloth, gilt-lettered spine. First Edition. New York: Adelmour W. King, 1868. Foxing, else very good. (100/150).
380. (Chess) Healey. A Collection of 200 Chess Problems. Cloth. 1st Ed. Discoloration to covers. 1908. * White. First Steps in the Classification of Two-Movers. Flex. cloth. 1st Ed. 1911. * White. Sam Loyd and his Chess Problems. Cloth. 1st Ed. Tear to cloth mid-front joint. 1913. * Dawson & Hundsdorfer. Retrograde Analysis. Ed. by White. Wrappers. 1st Ed. 1915. * Dedrle. Echo. Cloth. 1927. * Palatz & Mongreiden. Antiform. Cloth. 1st Ed. 1929. * Bergholt. A New Book of Patience Games. Cloth. 7th Ed. N.d. * Harley. Mate in Three Moves. Cloth. 1st Ed. . * Reinfeld. Chess By Yourself. Jacket. 1st Ed. . * Reinfeld. The Treasury of Chess Lore. Cloth. 1st Ed. . * Assiac. The Pleasures of Chess. 1952. * Renaud & Kahn. The Art of Checkmate. Jacket. 1st Ed. 1953. * Horowitz & Reinfeld. How to Think Ahead in Chess. Jacket. 3rd Ed. 1953. * Reinfeld. 1001 Brilliamt Chess Sacrifices and Combination. Cloth. 1st Ed. . Together, 14 vols. Illus. Various places: various dates. Very good overall. (150/250).
381. (Chess) Henneberger. Alpine Chess: A Collection of Problems by Swiss Composers. Ed. by Hume & White. 1921. * Havel. Bohemian Garments: A Collection of 500 Chess Problems. Ed. by Hume. 1923. * Hume. Changing Fashions: 150 Chess Problems. Ed. by White. 1925. * Shinkman. The Golden Argosy: 600 Chess Problems. Ed. by Wurzburg, White & Hume. 1929. * Kipping. The Chessmen Speak. Ed. by Hume. 1932. * White. Conspiracy: A Selection of Help-mate Problems. Ed. by Hume. 1935. * White. A Genius of the Two-Mover: A Selection of Problems by Comins Mansfield. 1936. Together, 7 vols. Illus. Gilt-lettered red cloth of various sizes. First Editions. Stroud: "Chess Amateur", various dates. All are part of the "Christmas Series." One signed by chess champion George Koltanowski. About fine, overall. (200/300).
382. (Chess) Klahre. Chess Potpourri. Gilt-lettered cloth. 1st Ed. 1931. * Koltanowski. Chess Chats. Pic. wrappers. Signed by author. 1st Ed. N.d. * Fine. Chess the Easy Way. Jacket. 1st Ed. . * Reinfeld. Chess Mastery by Question and Answer. Jacket. 1st Ed. 1946. * Chernev. The Bright Side of Chess. Jacket. 1st Ed. Inscribed by George Koltanowski. Mold damage to rear jacket flap. . * Rayner. Chess Problems: Their Composition and Solution. Cloth. . * Chernev. Winning Chess. Boards. 3rd Ed. . * Chernev & Reinfeld. The Fireside Book of Chess. Cloth & boards. 3rd Ed. . * Book in Russian. Cloth-backed boards. 1951. * Reinfeld. How to be a Winner at Chess. Cloth. 1st Ed. . * Koltanowski. Adventures of a Chess Master. Inscribed by author. Jacket. 1st Ed. . * Horowitz. Solitaire Chess. Wrappers. 1st Ed. . Together, 12 vols. Illus. Various places: various dates. George Koltanowski was the blindfold chess champion for several years. Some chipping to jackets, else very good overall. (150/250).
383. (Chess) Walker, George. Chess Made Easy; being a new Introduction to the Rudiments of that Scientific and Popular Game. Mottled boards, paper spine label. First Edition. Baltimore: Joseph Neal, 1839. Chipping to spine head & rubbing to corners, else very good. (70/100).
384. (Chess) White, Alain C. Memories of My Chessboard. Illus. with chessboards. Quarter red morocco & mottled boards, gilt-lettered spine. First Edition. Stroud: "Chess Amateur", 1909. Rubbing to extremities, small label to lower spine, else very good. (80/120).
385. (Chess) White, Alain C. Running the Gauntlet: A Study of the Capture of Pawns en Passant in Chess Problems. 1911. * More White Rooks. 1911. * White to Play: A Collection of Complete Block Two-Movers. 1913. * Tasks & Echoes: The Cumulative Principle in Problem Composition. 1915. * All Change Here! A Treatise on the Change-Mate Two-Mover together with A Collection of 325 Examples. Ed. by Williams & Gevers. 1919. * Flights of Fancy in the Chess World. Ed. by Hume. 1919. * D.J. Densmore and the Densmore Memorial Tourney, 1918. Ed. by Sims, Hume & White. 1920. Together, 7 vols. Illus. Gilt-lettered red (1 orange) cloth. First Editions. Leeds & Stroud: various dates. A few with mild discoloration to spines, else very good or better. (200/300).
386. (Chess) White. The Theory of Pawn Promotion. 1912. * White. Robert Braune, Apôtre la Symétrie. 1914. * Marble, White & Hume, eds. Chess Idylls: A Collection of Problems by Godfrey Heatcote. 1918. * Hume & White. The Good Companion Two-Mover. 1922. * White & Renaud. Le Problème d'Échecs: les Ecoles, les Genres, la Solution. 1924. Together, 5 vols. Illus. Gilt-lettered cloth. First Editions. Various places: various dates. Very good or better. (100/150).
387. (Chess) White. The White King. Inscribed by author. 1914. * White. The White Rooks. 1910. * Meredith. 100 Chess Problems. 1916. * White. The White Knights. Intro. by Hume. 1917. * Feast & White. Simple Two-Move Themes. Ed. by Hume. 1924. * Dawson & Pauly. Asymmetry. 1927. * White. The Properties of Castling. Ed. by Hume. 1928. * Keeble. An English Bohemian: A Tribute to B.G. Laws. Ed. Hume. 1933. * Sola. Suomi: A Collection of Problems by Finnish Composers. Ed. by Hume. 1934. Together, 9 vols. Gilt-lettered red cloth. First Editions. Stroud: various dates. Near fine. (200/300).
388. (Contract Bridge Trophy) 9-3/4" tall wood & gold-plated American Contract Bridge League trophy, with icon of a female angel holding up a wreath. N.p.: n.d.. Fine. (50/80).
1865 CROQUET MANUAL
389. (Croquet) Jaques, John. Croquêt: The Laws and Regulations of the Game, Thoroughly Revised, with a Description of the Implements, etc., etc. Illus. incl. frontis. of a woman playing croquet. Gilt-lettered & pictorially stamped flexible green cloth. Revised Edition. Boston: A. Williams, 1865. Contemporary inscription to Lizzie Walworth on front free endpaper. Front hinge cracking, else very good. (150/250).
390. (Fox Hunting) Underhill, G.F. The Master of Hounds. 1903. * Dale, T.F. Fox-Hunting in the Shires. 1903. Together, 2 vols. Illus. with plates from photographs. Uniform red cloth, gilt-lettered spines. First Editions. London: Grant Richards, 1903. A bit of sunning to spines, else near fine. (80/120).
391. (Guns) McGivern, Ed. Ed McGivern's Book on Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting and Police Training. Illus. Cloth. First Edition. Lewistown, MT: Ed McGivern, 1938. Inscribed & signed by McGivern on the front free endpaper, with lengthy A.L.s. in original envelope laid-in. Very good. (80/120).
392. (Guns) Sharpe, Philip B. The Rifle in America. Intro. by J.S. Hatcher. Illus. from photographic plates. 10x7-1/2, silver-lettered cloth, jacket. Second Edition, Revised & Enlarged. New York: Funk & Wagnalls, . Chipping & soiling to jacket, else near fine in very good jacket. (70/100).
HISTORY OF STEEPLE-CHASING
393. (Horse Racing) Blew, William C.A. A History of Steeple-Chasing. Illus. with 28 plates by Henry Alken, 12 of which are colored by hand. 10-1/4x6-1/2, gilt-lettered & stamped pictorial green cloth, t.e.g. First Edition. London: John C. Nimmo, 1901. Piece of cloth lacking from spine head; hinges cracked in places, with some pages detached, else about very good, with attractive hand-colored plates by sporting artist Alken. (100/150).
11 VOLS. ON BRITISH TURF
394. (Horse Racing) Coaten, Arthur, ed. Famous Horses of the British Turf: An Illustrated Review of Racing in Great Britain. 11 vols. covering the years 1919-1933. Illus. profusely from photographs of horses; tissue guards. Uniform 12x9-1/4, gilt-lettered white & brown cloth, t.e.g. Each vol. limited to between 600 & 1000 copies. First Editions. London: Welbecson Press, 1923-1933. Post-war pleasures of the leisure class in 11 volumes. Mild soiling, wear to one vol., else very good or better. (300/500).
395. (Horse Racing) Wilcox, J.M. Defender, Son of the Great George Wilkes, Will Make the Season of 1885 at Wilkes-Barre, PA. Pictorial wrappers. First Edition. N.p.: Evening Leader Steam Publishing, 1885. Mild foxing to left side wrappers. (50/80).
396. (Horses) Dwyer, Francis. On Seats and Saddles, Bits and Bitting and the Prevention and Cure of Restiveness in Horses. Illus. Gilt-lettered & pictorially stamped red cloth. First American Edition. New York: U.S. Book Co., [c.1890's]. Rubbing to spine ends, sunning to spine; chipping to front free endpaper, else very good, with charming front cover design. (50/80).
397. (Horses) Stong, Phil. Horses and Americans. Illus. incl. color frontis. 10-1/4x7-1/4, cloth, cover label. First Edition. New York: Frederick A. Stokes, 1939. Soiling, otherwise very good. (70/100).
398. (Horses) Waring, J.W., ed. The Official Horse Show Blue Book. Illus profusely from photographs, ads, color plates, etc. Gilt-lettered blue cloth, pictorial cover label. 23rd Annual Edition. New York: J.W. Waring, 1929. Fine condition. (50/80).
399. (Horses) Youatt, William. The Horse, together with a General History of the Horse; a Dissertation on the American Trotting Horse, how Trained and Jockeyed, an Account of his Remarkable Performances; and an Essay on the Ass and the Mule by J.S. Skinner. Illus. with wood engravings. Period calf, morocco spine label. Philadelphia: Lea & Blanchard, 1843. Front joint cracked, piece of leather lacking from spine foot, spot to rear cover; internal stains, else very good. (70/100).
A NUMBER OF HUNTING BOOKS
400. (Hunting - Game Birds) Leffingwell. Wild Fowl Shooting. 1890. * Van Dyke. Game Birds at Home. 1st Ed. 1895. * Heilner. A Book on Duck Shooting. Illus. by Lynn Bogue Hunt. 1945. Together, 3 vols. Illus. Gilt-lettered cloth. Various places: various dates. Very good overall. (100/150).
401. (Hunting) Bishop, Richard E. Bishop's Birds: Etchings of Water-Fowl and Upland Game Birds. Illus. with 73 etchings reproduced in aquatone. 12x9, pictorial gilt-lettered cloth. No. 554 of 1050 copies. First Edition. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott, 1936. Soiling, rubbing to extremities, else very good. (100/150).
402. (Hunting) Connett, Eugene V., ed. Duck Shooting Along the Atlantic Tidewater. Illus. with color plates by Lynn Bogue Hunt & Dr. Edgar Burke. 11x8-1/4, cloth, jacket. First Edition. New York: William Morrow, 1947. Chipping to jacket spine ends & corners, sunning to jacket spine, else very good. (70/100).
403. (Hunting) Halle. Birds Against Men. Illus. by Lynd Ward. 1st Ed. 1938. * Edminster. American Game Birds of Field and Forest: Their Habits, Ecology and Management. 1st Ed. 1954. * Janes. Hunting Ducks and Wild Geese. No. 771 of a limited ed. Signed by Janes. 2nd Ed. . Together, 3 vols. Illus. Cloth, jackets. Various places: various dates. Chipping to jackets with pieces lacking, else generally very good. (80/120).
404. (Hunting) Holland, Ray P. Shotgunning in the Uplands. Foreword by Dave Newell. Illus. with 8 color plates by Lynn Bogue Hunt. 11-1/4x8-3/4, gilt-lettered tan cloth. Second Edition. New York: A.S. Barnes, . Fine. (40/70).
405. (Hunting) Ormond, Clyde. Hunting in the Northwest. Illus. incl. color frontis. Gilt-lettered red cloth. First Edition. New York: Knopf, 1948. Chipping to spine foot, else very good. (50/80).
406. (Hunting) Schwartz, Charles W. The Prairie Chicken in Missouri. Illus. from photographs. 12x8-3/4, cloth, jacket. First Edition. Missouri: Conservation Commission, . Closed tears to jacket joints, else fine in very good jacket. (70/100).
407. (Hunting) Stonehenge. Hints to Sportsmen on Guns and Shooting; and Instructions Relating to Dogs, Ponies, Ferrets, etc. Illus. with wood-engraved plates, incl. frontis. of dogs. Rebound in modern quarter morocco & cloth, gilt- lettered spine. London: George Routledge & Sons, [c.1870's]. Foxing, else very good. (60/90).
408. (Magic) The Conjuror's Magazine. 4 issues: Vol. 1, Nos. 2-4, Vol. 2, No. 4. Profusely illus. Pictorial wrappers. New York: Conjuror's Magazine, 1945. Binder holes to all, a couple of scrapes to front wrapper of 1st, else very good. (80/120).
IMPORTANT COLLECTION OF OLYMPICS ANNUALS
409. (Olympics) Cook, Theodore A., ed. The Fourth Olympiad, being the Official Report of the Olympic Games of 1908, Celebrated in London.... Illus. with plates from photographs. 9-1/2x6-1/2, gilt-lettered pictorial red cloth. First Edition. London: British Olympic Assoc., 1908. Inscribed & signed by Clyde Purnell to his father (one of whom was on the winning British football [soccer] team in the 1908 Olympics, dated May, 1934). Wear to spine ends, particularly the head, which is quite torn, sunning to spine, rubbing to corners; front hinge cracking, else good. (300/500).
410. (Olympics) Bergvall, Erik. The Fifth Olympiad: The Official Report of the Olympic Games of Stockholm, 1912. 1118 pp. Illus. profusely from photographs. Gilt-stamped & lettered dec. cloth, t.e.g. First Edition. Stockholm: Wahlström & Widstrand. Inscribed to Gustavus T. Kirby, Vice-President of the United States Olympic Committee, from the Swedish Olympic Committee, on prelim. flyleaf. Rubbing & fraying to spine ends & extremities, tears to cloth near corners; front free endpaper lacking, hinge cracked, still very good - scarce. (300/500).
411. (Olympics) American Olympic Committee. Report of the American Olympic Committee, Ninth Olympic Games, Amsterdam, 1928; Second Olympic Winter Sports, St. Moritz, 1928. Illus. profusely from photographs. Gilt-lettered dec. cloth. First Edition. New York: American. Olympic Committee, 1928. Copy belonging to Wallace O'Connor, U.S. Olympic Team (Water Polo) 1924, 1928, 1932 (Captain) & 1936, with his signature to front free endpaper & following flyleaf, as well as a dedication label from him to Helms Hall mounted on title page. Johnny Weissmuller also competed in these Olympics. Spine ends & corners well-rubbed; dampstaining to upper gutter areas of most pages, else about very good - a nice association copy. (200/300).
412. (Olympics) Van Rossem, G., ed. The Ninth Olympiad, being the Official Report of the Olympic Games of 1928 Celebrated at Amsterdam. Profusely illus. from photographs. 11-1/2x8-1/2, gilt-lettered blue cloth. First Edition. Amsterdam: J.H. de Bussy, 1928. Front joint cracked through, small tear to cloth along rear joint; front hinge cracked, lacking rear free endpaper, else very good. (200/300).
413. (Olympics) The Olympic Games in California 1932 - Proposition No. 2, State Election, November 6, 1928. 8-page brochure regarding the proposal to bring the Olympics to California in 1932. Los Angeles: Calif. 10th Olympiad Assoc., 1928. Fine. (100/150).
414. (Olympics) Xth Olympiad Committee. The Games of the Xth Olympiad, Los Angeles, 1932 - Official Report. 815 pp. Profusely illus., incl. color frontis. & some color plates. 12x8-3/4, pictorial salmon cloth. First Edition. Los Angeles: Xth Olympiad Committee, 1933. Repairable tear to spine head, else near fine - a great cover design. (300/500).
415. (Olympics) Rubien, Frederick W., ed. Report of the American Olympic Committee, Games of the Xth Olympiad, Los Angeles, California, July 30-August 14, 1932; III Olympic Winter Games, Lake Placid, New York, February 4-13, 1932. Illus. from photographs. 10-3/4x7-3/4, pictorial wrappers. First Edition. New York: American. Olympic Committee, 1932. Tear to spine head, mild rubbing to extremities, else very good. (100/150).
416. (Olympics) Lattimer, George M., ed. Official Report, III Olympic Winter Games, Lake Placid, 1932. Illus. profusely from photographs. 10-3/4x7-1/2, gilt-lettered blue cloth. First Edition. Lake Placid: III Olympic. Winter Games Committee, 1932. From the skating library of Arthur Foxe, with his small name & rubberstamp to front free endpaper. Light rubbing to spine ends, else near fine. (200/300).
417. (Olympics) Rubien, Frederick W., ed. Report of the American Olympic Committee, Games of the XIth Olympiad, Berlin, Germany...IVth Olympic Winter Games, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany...1936. Profusely illus. from photographs, incl. folding frontis. plates. 10-3/4x7-3/4, gilt-lettered blue cloth. First Edition. New York: American. Olympic Committee, 1936. Inscribed thus on front free endpaper: "This book is given in affectionate friendship to Jane, our second Olympian, in memory of a happy summer, XI Olympiad - Berlin, Herb." Upper front joint cracked through, heavy chipping to spine ends, fraying to cloth at corners, else good. (120/180).
418. (Olympics) Report of the United States Olympic Committee 1948 Games, XIV Olympiad...V Olympic Winter Games. Illus. throughout from photographs. 11-3/4x8-1/2, gold cloth. First Edition. New York: U.S. Olympic Assoc., 1948. Near fine. (80/120).
419. (Olympics) Organizing Committe of the Games of the XVII Olympiad. The Games of the XVII Olympiad, Rome 1960. Vol. II. 1054 pp. 11-1/2x8-1/4, gilt-lettered blue cloth. First Edition. [Roma: Organizing Committee..., 1960]. Fine. (80/120).
420. (Olympics) Organizing Committee of the Games of the XIX Olympiad. L'Olympiade Culturelle/The Cultural Olympiad: Mexico 68. 3 (of 4) vols. (Vols. 2, 3, & 4.) Profusely illus. incl. color. 11-1/2x11-1/4, gilt-lettered white cloth. First Edition. Mexico City: Organizing Committee..., . Very good condition. (100/150).
421. (Olympics) United States 1952 Olympic Book 1952: Quadrennial Report of the United States Olympic Committee. 1952. * United States 1960 Olympic Book. Jacket. 1960. * Olympic Sports Official Album, Montréal 1976. Jacket. 1976. * United States Olympic Book 1980. 1980. * XIII Olympic Winter Games Final Report, February 13-24, 1980. 1980. Together, 5 vols. Illus. from photographs. Approx. 11-3/4x8, cloth or boards, 2 in jackets. First Editions. Various places: various dates. All with chipping & tears to spine ends, jacket of 2nd well worn & torn, else good to very good. (100/150).
422. (Olympics) Comité d'Orginasation des Jeux de la XXIIe Olympiade. Jeux de la XXIIe Olympiade. 2 vols. 11-1/2x8-3/4, gilt-lettered red & blue cloth. First Edition. Moscow: Fizkoultura i Sport, 1981. Faint white spots to front cover of Vol. I, rubbing to spine heads, else very good. (80/120).
SIGNED BY 30 ATHLETES & CELEBRITIES
423. (Olympics) International Olympic Committee. Games of the XXIIIrd Olympiad, Los Angeles, 1984, Commemorative Book. Illus. in color from photographs. 12x9, padded morocco, gold cover plaque. No. 288 of 500 copies. First Edition. N.p.: International Sport Publications, 1984. Signed in gold ink by the following past & present participating American Olympic athletes & authors: Mack Robinson, Frank Lubrin, George Plimpton, Dallas Bixler, Jean Shirley, Herb Wildman, John Naber, Gina Hemphill, Rafer Johnson, Dwight Stones, Edwin Moses, Willi Banks, Sheri Howard, Denean Howard, Valerie Brisco-Hooks, Henry Tillman, Pat McDonough, Mitch Gaylord, Peter Vidmar, Mary Lou Retton, Kathy Johnson, Jeff Float, Rowdy Gaines, Mike O'Brien, Steve Lundquist, Tracy Ruiz, Pat Powers, Steve Salmons, Dave Saunders, & Lionel Richie. Tear to leather at spine head (easily repairable), else near fine. (250/400).
424. (Pigeons) The Racing Pigeon News Annual, 1913. 2 vols. 1913. * The Homing Pigeon Annual, 1914. 1914. * The American Racing Pigeon News. April, 1935. * The Homing World Diary, 1938. 1938. Together, 5 vols. Illus. Last 2 in wrappers, others cloth. Various places: various dates. Some soiling, else very good overall. (100/150).
425. (Ping Pong) Parker, Arnold. Ping-Pong: The Game and How to Play It. Illus. Pictorial cloth. First Edition. New York: R.F. Renno, 1902. The ins and outs of table tennis explained in full - wonderful cover design. Fine. (50/80).
426. (Self-Defense) Hancock, H. Irving. Jiu-Jitsu Combat Tricks. Illus. from photographs. Pictorial yellow cloth. First Edition. New York: G.P. Putnam's, 1904. Near fine. (50/80).
427. (Swimming Trophy) 6-1/2x3-1/2 International Sterling silver cup engraved: " Menlo Circus Club Swimming - Won by Barbara Beach Thompson." [Menlo Park: c.1910]. Tarnishing, else very good. (80/120).
428. (Tennis Trophy) 6-1/2x4-3/4 silver trophy, engraved: " Tennis Tournament - June 24, 1911 - Presented by Mrs. D.T. Murphy. [On other side] Won by Helen Foorman and Emily Pope." Foorman would later become the well-known amateur women's golf champion, Helen Lengfeld. N.p.: 1911. Tarnished, else very good - worthy of a good polishing. (80/120).
429. Whitney, Caspar W. A Sporting Pilgrimage: Riding to Hounds, Golf, Rowing, Football, Club and University Athletics. Studies in English Sport, Past and Present. Illus. incl. 3 by Remington. 8-3/4x5-3/4, gilt-dec. & lettered red & black cloth. First American Edition. New York: Harper, 1895. Sunning to spine; small early photograph mounted to front pastedown, else very good. (60/90).
430. (Yachting) Heckstall-Smith, B. Yachts & Yachting in Contemporary Art. Illus. with 103 plates, incl. numerous tipped-in color plates by various artists. 11-1/4x8-3/4, gilt-lettered blue cloth, t.e.g. No. 701 of 1000 copies. First Edition. London: The Studio, 1925. Rubbing to spine ends & a bit to corners; scattered foxing, else very good. (80/120).